.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sylvania GNET28001SN Meso 8.9" Netbook PC (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Ubuntu OS)


Price as reviewed $449.99

Free yourself from clumsy electronics and enjoy uncompromising mobility with the G netbook Meso. Smaller and lighter than a laptop, the G netbook Meso was meant to be used anywhere life takes you. Flexing Intel's new Atom processor, enjoy powerful computing without the weight: only 2.2 lbs. Access pictures, music, movies and the web without the bulk of a laptop. Discover the netbook -- the next generation in personal productivity. Indulge in portable, lightweight connectivity at an affordable price. 8.9? diagonal (1024 x 600) Backlit LED Display Integrated Webcamera Intel 945 Express Graphics Chipset 802.11b/g Wireless 10/100 Ethernet Multi Card Reader 3 x USB 2.0, Headphone out; Microphone-in, VGA, RJ-45 LAN Approximate Unit Dimensions - 9? (L) x 7? (W) x 1.25?(H) Approximate Unit Weight - 2.2 Pounds

I bought this PC from J&R (great service!!!) as it had more of what I desire in a micr-notebook than any of the others out there. The fact that it is much less expensive was just an added plus.

I loved everything about this computer save one drawback which I'll address momentarily. It is fast, stable, adequate connectivity, superior portability, and a decent touchpad. The preloaded software is decent too. I have used Open Office (pre-loaded software) for years now on several other machines and have found it to be the equal to and superior to MS Office on several levels.

All in all, a great deal, a great machine, with great potential; save the drawback I mentioned: Poor WEP Wireless Network connectivity.

It will not connect to any WEP encrypted wireless network I have attempted to connect to, nor have I been successful in connecting to unsecured networks. I spent an entire day at home with tech support for my internet provider, from the router manufacturer (Buffalo Technology-Excellent wireless router!), and of course the Sylvania people.

Per Sylvania Tech Support, I was told:

"Oh yes, that is a widely known issue. Just reconfigure your security settings on your router using either No security encryption, or set it to WPA encryption."

I tried reconfiguring my home systems wireless security for over 5 hours, 2 of which was spent with the fine people of Buffalo Technology who very patiently walked me through every possible security configuration and still no connection!

Even were I able to get it to work on my system, I guess I'll persuade every business who provides wireless service to customers to change their security from WEP just for me too, eh?

Spectacular idea with great potential, perhaps a different Linux OS variant or replace the wireless technology within the notebook would remedy the issue, perhaps even a software fix???

No machine in this class currently on the market gives you 80GB HDD, 1 GB RAM for any where near $500. Fix the wireless issue and this pc will rock...For the moment, it is of no use to me; J&R provided immediate Return Authorization.